Twittering Machine

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Eurasia 1


I was kayaking with Gerald in the Gulf of Tonkin when I received a text message from the National Book Development Board (NBDB) announcing the launch of Tulaan sa Tren (Poetry in the Metro).

I'm in Vietnam for ASEFUAN's AGM and would be able to fly back to Manila in time for its launch this Saturday at 1 PM in the LRT Santolan station. It was around a year ago when I went to the AGM in Madrid and noticed how subway trains had posters containing excerpts of Spanish literary works that mention the city. Since I had no money to bring home, I decided that this idea would be my pasalubong or take-home gift to my hometown of Metropolitan Manila, a way for me to share the spirit of Europe to the greatest city that today bridges East and West.

Upon returning, I enlisted the help of Andrea Flores, Executive Director of NBDB, and Deo Custodio, who was then with Congress. Deo helped arrange a meeting between Andrea and LRTA Administrator Mel Robles, who supported the idea. I didn't hear from the NBDB nor the LRTA again about the project until this week's AGM, which surprised me and made me happy. Starting next week, when I ride the train to go to work, I would remember the friends I made in Madrid. Of course, "Tulaan sa Tren" now has a life of its own and is uniquely Manileno. Aside from the NBDB and the LRTA, the project is supported by Optical Media Board Chairman Edu Manzano and National Artist Virgilio Almario (Rio Alma). Below is a poster featuring my poet-ancestor Jose Corazon de Jesus (Huseng Batute). Hmm, I wonder what I'll bring home from Indochina...


Thanks to David Frogier de Ponlevoy for the top photo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats. They didn't make the attribution but it's really the impact that counts, right? http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20081019-167197/Poetry-in-the-thick-of-the-commuter-rush

Voltaire said...

Thanks Ipat! I'm just thankful that NBDB and LRTA succeeded and we now have these poems in our collective memory.