Twittering Machine

Sunday, February 7, 2010

once a catholic

That's the title of a book that an agnostic friend once made me read. I think out of curiosity- and also the desire to find answers to her own questions- she asked me why I would stick with Roman Catholicism, notwithstanding my disagreement with certain positions of the Church (on birth control, for example).

I answered that, for me, my spirituality- my personal relationship with God (or the Force or the cosmos)- precedes the institutional religion to which I belong. Roman Catholicism provides the forms and structures that allow me to express my gratitude to the universe and connect with the pulse of life, and I am comfortable with this.

Moreover, isn't religion inherited, in a way? I am Catholic because my parents and grandparents are Catholic; you are agnostic, because one of your parents is agnostic (and an intelligent and articulate one at that).

Well, now, I can think of a third reason: the Church has given me a community, a web of relationships that has given me security and a sense of belonging. In Nueva Ecija, for example, where I've been spending a lot of time these past few years, Tito Doc and Tita Violy treat the clergy- fellow priests of my cousin Msgr. Mike- as members of the family.

Because of these ties, I met Fr. Elmer (in the picture above), to whom I can easily relate because we're around the same age. He once said that a priest has three traits: he is priestly, kingly, and prophetic. And interested as I am in others, I sought to better understand Fr. Elmer and all priests by adopting these aspects- in a way, by realizing the priest within me.

I believe that what's most important in a religion are its standards for ethical conduct that allow people to live with dignity and in peace with each other, as well as realize their best selves.

Thankfully, our Church friends have not put me in a box and, instead, have given me space to be myself- to contribute to Christianity in my own unique way.

1 comment:

ka_fredo said...

Hmm... just wanted to say I have the same position as you regarding my Catholic faith. Good day to you.