Twittering Machine

Thursday, March 8, 2007

rock 'n rule


Last year, I asked Jing- a lawyer for Saligan who plays the guitar for several bands- what his dream legal practice was. He said he wanted to give legal assistance to musicians.

When my childhood playmate from Baguio Bilzen told me that his metal rock band, Hard Boiled Eggz, needed lawyers to review some recording contracts, I found the chance to make a dream come true. I sent the Eggz an engagement letter and asked Jing to collaborate with me in negotiations.

The Eggz won the P800,000 first prize in the Red Horse Muziclaban Rock Challenge last year. Yesterday, after almost two months of painstaking negotiations that covered a gamut of intellectual property issues from copyrights to royalties, they signed a three-year exclusive recording contract with Viva Records. Representing the record company in negotiations was another former Justice Mendoza law clerk, the soprano Marivic Benedicto.

Here are three members of the Eggz with their manager Ann, who had also managed the Eraserheads. Bilzen is the guy in the green shirt, sitting beside Ann.

Thanks to The Dawn for "Bawat Bata" in the podcast.

No comments: