Twittering Machine

Monday, March 10, 2008

the master


One of the difficult things I would have to do this week is to deliver copies of Sagisag ng Tagumpay to the family of the late artist Carlos Valino, who graciously allowed the reproduction of his paintings for this yearbook we produced for College of the Immaculate Conception (CIC). Carlo graduated from CIC and other good friends from Nueva Ecija are connected in one way or another with the school; my cousin Father Mike, from whom I've sought spiritual advice, is its President. I wanted a book that would express the special qualities of a hospitable and friendly people, not just in the present but for all time. For this, I needed the help of a master from the province.

After searching for his home in Cabanatuan City, I finally met Prof. Valino on January 31, 2007. He was 81 years old at the time. He said that he's the uncle of Alex Valino, a former news writer of Philippine Collegian, and showed me a feature profile of him which appeared in our March 13, 1997 issue. After I showed him that the issue also has an article about Nelson Mandela, who I met in UP Manila, we instantly had a connection. Prof. Valino's painting of the Philippine Revolution hangs in Malacanang; his portrait of Carlos P. Romulo is in the Pentagon. Unfortunately, Prof. Valino died before I could present the published book to him.

I believe that, with our deep focus on spiritual life, the most beautiful colors, sweetest sounds, and most exquisite textures of the Philippines are found within our people. We need our artists to give form to this secret, invisible world, allowing us to experience it anew with our senses and contribute to the memory of humankind.

1 comment:

hannah said...

professor carlos valino was my grandfather.