Twittering Machine

Monday, March 9, 2009

woman

Imagine my surprise when, on my way to the dojo, I saw a billboard of Camilla adorned with a tiara and the announcement that she had won Mrs. Philippines-Universe!
 
Camilla was a sorority batchmate of someone I dated in college. It was a memorable initiation into the way of UP's Greeks, since I had to endure frequent teasing from an entire group of "sisters," a kind of courtship-by-coercion. 

I felt close to Camilla since she reminded me of B.C., my first crush in ISM, and she had also studied in UPIS. Also, she had a strong presence- "malakas ang dating"- which sometimes caused people to misunderstand her, yet she always smiled and never let unpleasant remarks rain on her parade, which I found both practical and heroic.

Anyway, one time, while we were having a friendly lunch in the old Thai restaurant of International Center (I heard that "Mommy Thai" has returned from Bangkok and now serves her delicious tom yum soup in Ortigas), she told me a fascinating tale. She said that her mom's family comes from the enchanted Island of Panay and that the women in her family have fey blood running through their veins. Some of them have chosen to develop their powers by living in the wilds as wise women, maligned by the ignorant, never to be seen again- most of the others though have chosen to cast their spells in everyday life.

Well, we know where Camilla has chosen to exercise her druidic powers: in Blue Gardens. And pretty soon, she'll be weaving her magic in Bulgaria for the international beauty contest.

Here is Camilla practicing a dance number with her fellow Singing Ambassadors, looking as fresh and simple as she did when she was still a single co-ed. Congratulations Mrs. Camilla Kim-Galvez (click on her interview clip here)! And Happy Women's Month everyone!


Babae Ako (Urduja OST) - Regine Velasquez

Thanks to Regine Velasquez for "Babae Ako."

No comments: