Twittering Machine

Saturday, August 15, 2009

otaku

Finally, I knew a Japanese word that Ronnie-san didn't: otaku (おたく/オタク). After aikido practice, he saw the green streaks of paint on my hair and asked what they were for. I said it was my otaku day.

Otaku is a Japanese word referring to people with obsessive interests, particularly in anime, manga and video games. The term is loosely translated into English as "geek" (there is no close translation in Filipino- an entire generation here was weaned on Voltes V and anime).

Anyway, one morning during a Comics Convention in Megamall, I met this group of Filipino otaku. They reminded me so much of "Densha Otoko," one of my favorite Japanese TV series about the true-to-life love story between an otaku ("Densha Otoko" or "Train Man") and a office worker he met on the train ("Hermes"). With the help of fellow users of 2ch (a Japanese Internet forum where everyone is anonymous), he was able to overcome his shyness, undergo a make-over, and court Hermes. There was trouble, however, when Hermes found out that Densha Otoko was an otaku but- and the TV series became a hit because of this- love found a way to bring them back together in the end. The lesson is simple and resonates in anyone who has ever courted, dated or been in a relationship: just be yourself.

Memorable scenes from "Densha Otoko" are here.

How did it feel to have green hair? This has long been something I've wanted to try- it felt great, I felt instantly transformed into someone new. There's another lesson here somewhere but I'll need to think about that...

Here's the perfect Pinoy otaku song, "Maari Ba?" ("Is It Possible?")- thanks to balladeer Ariel Rivera.


maari ba - ariel rivera

No comments: