Twittering Machine

Sunday, September 13, 2009

first night


While Europe can be expensive due to different standards of living, one can travel on a budget of 30 to 90 Euros a day if one is able to establish rapport and make instant friends.

When checking in at midnight in the domus or hostel in Helsinki, I am greeted by a fellow participant of the conference, Constantin "Coco" Holzer from Austria. He looks like Josh Groban, only better groomed, and what I found most striking about him was his voice, which was like a gentle breeze- it sounds so polite to my ears, I figure he must have lived in Asia. Soon enough, I would find out that he has been to China and even to the Eastern ends of Russia, beyond Moscow- in fact, Coco speaks Chinese and Russian fluently.

Since we both have rooms with twin beds, we decide to just share one room for the night and split the bill. I open a coconut shell with lambanog wine and we talk about his travels and martial arts (he practices Brazilian wrestling) until 3 in the morning.

Since I haven't been to Austria, I draw on two stories from my personal hard drive to make a connection: the movie "Sound of Music," one of the first movies I saw as a child, and Persepolis, the comic book memoir of Marjane Satrapi (the film adaptation's website is here), who moved to Vienna to escape the war in Iran.

I must have been inspired by my French friend Romain's photos of Iran that I got Persepolis from National Bookstore in Greenhills. It's powerful and engrossing graphic work, expressing serious themes of war and destruction in the voice of an innocent child. Satrapi shows scenes of bombings in Tehran and its transformation from a secular into a fundamentalist religious state and her liberal family's reaction to these; her parents' decision for her to continue her high school studies in Austria; culture shock in Europe; dating; returning to Iran and meeting her husband; and getting a divorce and becoming independent again.

What makes Persepolis unique is its narrative: instead of glorifying the combat between a protagonist and his or her enemy, the comic book presents the details of everyday life of an ordinary child and her brave family while combats of powers-that-be rage around them.

Persepolis has become the inspiration for a future book project for me. I was surprised to find out that a similar comic book has already been done in the Philippines, though I'm still trying to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks to Aria Clemente for the song "Climb Every Mountain." Aria is the 2007 Grand Champion Performer of the World (Junior Division) of the World Championships of Performing Arts. 

No comments: