Twittering Machine

Sunday, September 6, 2009

journey

The light has gone out, I said, and yet I was wrong... The light that has illumined this country for these many years will illumine this country for many more years... and the world will see it and it will give solace to innumerable hearts. -Jahawarlal Nehru on Mahatma Gandhi

Why do we travel? Some people do so to get from point A to B; others, to take a vacation. For me, traveling provides an opportunity to go on a journey- to undertake a process of discovering the world and myself. 

This is the reason why, while I like to meet people and make new friends, I also enjoy a lot of time traveling in solitude. Away from the bonds of relationships and the usual markers of social roles and responding to a different culture and environment, I can find out about my true likes and dislikes. I can form my own opinions unmediated by those of another and get new inspiration. Ordinary acts, like bowing, drinking tea or relaxing in a sauna, take on new meanings. Ultimately, a journey strengthens one's sense of self or even reconstitutes it, allowing a new and better person to emerge.

As I would tell Irena from Czech Republic, upon reuniting with her boyfriend in Prague, with all she has seen and experienced by herself, she would have more to give to their relationship. And she would also have given them both a chance to miss each other!

What makes this journey different from previous ones is that I'm also trying to clear my head. Since the passing of former Pres. Aquino, I feel as Nehru did immediately after Gandhi passed away, that the light has gone out from the world. I know in my mind that this isn't so- that the flame of freedom which she carried would burn on in hearts of many more Filipinos- but I wanted to find that flame in my own heart, so that I would have more to give to my country and the world.


I've been wondering how people can love a country. Specifically, why do I love the Philippines? Is it because I've been told to do so by patriotic parents? Or because I feel a sense of obligation to give back to society for the excellent education and professional opportunities I've received? Or because love of country has been drilled into me through countless national anthems and flag ceremonies?


These may all be a part of it, but what I'll discover at journey's end is that love of country is part of loving oneself. 


When we travel, one of the first things that people look for in our passports or ask about is our nationality and, on that basis, form initial impressions about us. Politicians and businessmen would ask for our opinion about the problems back home that they read about in the papers or see on TV. So whenever each of us tries to solve one of these problems- to fight an injustice or right a wrong- we strengthen our self-esteem- our self-respect- and allow that "greatest love" to happen in our lives.


These are exciting times for the Philippines as we prepare for national elections next year. There are a number of relatively young and qualified candidates who are planning to run for national positions. Since I have a personal or professional connection to many of them- to quote my friend Anna, the Philippines is "incestuously small"- I would have to assess their track records and platforms closely.  


I'll vote and campaign, not on the basis of personality, but on principles and plans, particularly on the economy. I'll make choices, not with my heart, but with my mind. And if I don't find the perfect candidates, I'll support the ones who'll give me the least stress if they win.


In the meantime, enjoy the journey with me! Here I am before the Suomen ortodoksinen kirkko, an autonomous Orthodox archbishopric of the Patriarchate of Constantinople. Thanks to Zhaoxiong Wang of China for the picture.

No comments: